Monday, September 27, 2010

Great Weekend of hiking, beautiful views, sun salutations and theater

This past weekend was the first time I have really gotten out of the house (away from the books) and explored the city and nearby cultural and natural beauty.  Saturday, I travled a short 1.5 hours on bus with about 75 UNAM students to visit nearby Tepoztlan.  We enjoyed climbing the rocky path 400 meters to reach the Pyramid of Tepozteco.  It was a beautiful sunny day and you could see the whole village and beyond.  We also had fun with the coatis (wild muskets).  Afterward, we strolled the village, eating tepoznieve (their unique icey sweet treat in rare fruit flavors) and visiting the expansive market or quality and inexpensive artesenia.







On Sunday, I was finally able to attend a yoga class (after 6 weeks! not to worry, I can't live with my yoga practice, so of course I did my own each day)...this one was at Jiva Spa (fancy I know) and consisted of 108 sun salutations (a traditional vinyasa yoga sequence) - half facing the east to honor this past summer and be thankful for all it has brought, while releasing any negativity or attachment to things of this past season, and half to welcome the autumn and welcome a new outlook on life for the coming season.  This workshop was extremely valuable to me as I have been adjusting to a new culture, new student life style, and a new world in Mex City. 

In addition, Sunday evening, I attended a great show, "Las Tandas del Centenario" which was the final production of the season.  It chronicled a Mexican theatre company in the early 1900s, mocking the constant change in leadership, yet proudly showcasing Mexican culture and triumph over decades of unrest and change. I went with Rebecca and Billy, two other Ambassadorial Scholars, as well as some of their UNAM friends.

Today I started my classes in the full time MBA program.  So far, great! I will write more at the week's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment