Monday, August 23, 2010

Life in Mex City...getting around

So far I have found the people to be delightful, friendly and helpful.  I am not surprised, but everyone did scare me a bit about getting around and so on...but everyone has been helpful when I have asked for directions or advice.  I have been walking during the day (only going out at night with a friend who drives or taking a taxi - which I havent done yet). Today, however, I decided to put myself out there and try the bus - I am going to be using it very frequently to get the metro toward el Centro.  So, I took the "pesero" (used to cost 1 peso hence the name; now it costs 4) and quickly past my casa...I asked the women next to me what to do and upon her advice, I jumped out and took one going the opposite direction on a different street and made it home n 5 minutes!  I learned today that the busiest times for traffic are between 8-9:30am, 2-4pm (lunch time), and 6-7:30pm.  The work day  here is a bit longer than in the U.S. because of the long lunch break (which they use to run errands as well).  Everyone says that this is a driving city and it is!  The city is enormous and spread out and it's much easier to run errands, get groceries, or cross town in a car (if you have the $dinero$). But, alas, I am a chica del transporte publico...

No comments:

Post a Comment